Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Plastic; the raw material of Christmas

Everywhere I go there are all manner of visual displays from strangers wishing me a merry or happy or blessed Christmas. My area goes all out for the festive season.

I wonder if they know that the bulk of the Christmas decorations consumed by the west are made in factories staffed by predominantly Buddhist workers in China.

"Mr Cheng's turnover this year has doubled to $US6 million, but he says rising prices for plastic, the raw material of Christmas, along with increasing salaries, are cutting into profits.

I should start thinking about developing products for other Western festivals, like the Valentine's Day or Halloween."
Portly, grinning Lion Club Santas sit precariously atop buildings creating anxious images of "shopper squished by Santa" headlines.

Then there's the shopping-centre parking-rage.
Nobody cares about 'goodwill to mankind' there.
It's BMW eats Audi, the later model with the deepest tan always seems to win.

This year at work I respectfully declined the secret Santa ritual, suggesting a donation to a worthy cause instead.
Santa found me nonetheless.
Funny, I'm not generally known for being nice.



6 Comments:

Blogger weezil said...

Where on earth did you find a painting of you as a 7 year old, Suki?

Indeed, Christmas is the celebration of the opening of the wallet and the resurrection of the Gold Card.

I prefer not to participate, thanks.

But if your work gives you some paid time off, will you come visit me? :)

-weez

11:39 am  
Blogger suki said...

Yes.
Look for me.
I'll be the one wearing the 'falling Santa protection helmet'...

12:07 pm  
Blogger Jellyfish said...

"Then there's the shopping-centre parking-rage.
Nobody cares about 'goodwill to mankind' there. "

I once did all-night shopping at Chadstone on the 23rd. Spent 1 hr 09 minutes in the car park. No jokes. Ended up stalking people with bags back to their cars and then hurling myself out the door and into their empty space and lying prostrate on the ashphalt while my bro lined up the car and parked (not over me, obviously). Scary stuff, man.

I absolutely love that graphic :)

5:18 pm  
Blogger mike.hunt.hertz said...

Now Suki,

You really don't think Christmas has anything to do with Chrisrians do you. You say you believe in Justice, then don't have a go at easy targets

5:41 pm  
Blogger suki said...

gee whizz mike.hunt.hertz...
Are you kehunt subsection A: warm and inviting
or cunt subsection B:

7:28 pm  
Blogger suki said...

When I lived in sleepy, provincial Darwin I left my 8 year old sitting under the palm tree minding a car spot as I got the car to avoid yet another parking fine. Christmas time is wet season and half of Darwin migrates out (leaving at that time 35,000 people.)
No-one stole the parking spot, but someone did steal her purse with her Christmas money and she got a fright when she noticed it missing.
"What if they had stolen me mama?"
What indeed!
Goodwill in these individualistic times, not likely.

7:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home