Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Would you like Holy Toast with your first amendment Mr. President?

The United States of America.
The home of the Bill of Rights for some and not others.

The face of the President made up of marshland, reeds and chimpanzees on display with other works of art is deemed offensive possibly resulting in arrest and seizure of property.


Artwork by Christopher Savido

The face of the Virgin Mary appears on ten year old toast and it's bid, sell, profit. Absolutely no threat of being arrested for selling creative toast.


Toast by Diane Duyser

We are in a Coalition of the Willing with this country.
We are in a Free Trade Agreement with this country.
We are becoming more and more subsumed by the culture of this country.

I hope that I never have to feed my family by selling my creative art.
and
I hope that an image of Jesus appears say on the broad bean leaf lying in the mulch of my organic vegetable patch on Christmas day...


7 Comments:

Blogger weezil said...

I would fear no libel suit if I called Shrub a chimp and I would have even less trepidation of eating the body of Christ- were it organically grown. No chemical Jesus for me.

However, the Virgin Mary on a toasted cheese is another story. I would have added a bit of bacon or shaved ham to get the necessary level of fat & salt to make the Virgin more palatable.

12:47 pm  
Blogger suki said...

Can I take from your comment that you prefer salty, fat, virgins?

6:48 pm  
Blogger HackWatch2004 said...

Hi Suki,
I sent this letter to the sydney morning herald. wonder if they will give it a run?

I 100 per cent agree with the decision by a New York
market director to censor a portrait of George Bush
framed by hundreds of tiny primates. Yes, never before
have so many innocent and defenceless monkeys been so
humiliated for the sake of art.

9:08 pm  
Blogger suki said...

HackWatch2004, great take on the picture, I hope SMH publishes your letter. Did you sign it J. Goodall?

10:00 pm  
Blogger Le Driver said...

Clever letter Hackwatch - I hope it gets published and brings a smile to many faces.

The Savido artwork is incredible! Such a shame that right-wing paranoia is so effective at snuffing out civil liberties...

10:20 pm  
Blogger suki said...

So true Le Driver. What moves me is the juxtaposition of George W. Bush's violence and hatred and the gentle, coherent, peaceful movement of the primates as they depict his features...

11:25 pm  
Blogger Le Driver said...

Very well put Suki. That's what's so amazing about it; the artwork makes something gorgeous and innocent out of an image with an inherent sense of brutality and despair.

1:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home