Friday, March 04, 2005

Feeling less squeamish

Family First make this government all, but lactate.
It is widely believed that this fledgling political force is a party aspiring to become a permanent third force in Australian politics.

In a meeting with Mr HoWARd, Family First chairman Peter Harris and Victorian senator-elect Steve Fielding pressed for Government concessions on a lengthy list of issues. One such issue, raised by Peter Harris could mean pressure to end (or put a time limit on) the current policy of indefinite detention,

"Stealing someone's life by keeping them in detention for many many years is something that is not acceptable any longer, so we've lobbied the Government on that basis and they are very receptive to that issue."
This leaves me feeling slightly better about the new Senate.

7 Comments:

Blogger bogan-A said...

I remember straight after the election they flagged that 2 of the biggest issues for them are humane treatment of refugees and reconciliation.

And I thought, well, they may be religious nutbags, but at least on top of all the moralising stuff the Abbott/Pell types obsess over, they also read the bits about loving thy neighbour, good samaritans etc.

At least they bring the good with the bad...

2:32 pm  
Blogger suki said...

Oh I do hope so martin.

We are still left with a lot of at leasts...
I'll keep a watchful eye out for their ideas for reconciliation. Perhaps they will launch something for International day of the World's Indigenous people on 9 August 2005.

2:50 pm  
Blogger Jellyfish said...

Well, here's an insightful comment - that could be a photo of my parents circa 1976. Only with someone else's kids. And less hair.

6:38 pm  
Blogger suki said...

Jellyfish, that explains your cool hippy name.
I love hippies.
Man, they were so optimistic, alternate, furry, beaded and mellow.

8:19 pm  
Blogger Jellyfish said...

I know. When I went to San Francisco about 3 years ago, and saw all the places where the hippy movement originated, and heard about the optimism that propelled it all forward... I felt kinda depressed.

11:37 am  
Blogger Ron said...

You made me remember my floral shirts with ties made of the same material, my flaired jeans and my great mop of curly hair (and now for the first time in nearly 40 years I will reveal, here on Suki's blog, that I actually had long straight hair and used to have the curls permed in at the local ladies' hairdresser).

And I used to think I so butch...

8:27 pm  
Blogger Brownie said...

Beautiful people. Peace.

12:22 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home