Tuesday, March 01, 2005

An inclusive society

Today I have my optimistic pants on and choose to believe that this government is not creating a compliance regime for people who are currently on Disability Support Pensions. 700,000 DSP recipients. There's enough for one for every medium-sized business in NSW.

My workplace could apply and become all manner of disabled person friendly.

We could look forward to learning the basics of sign language, understanding the finer points of recharging the battery of a wheelchair, carers coming and going, sharing the refrigerator with tiger balm, voltaren and poultices, colleagues on flexible work hours and working from home regimes, and of course, all those water dishes for all those support pets, companion animals and guide dogs...

Pleeaase Boss, pleeeaaaaaase can we get a disabled person?

2 Comments:

Blogger weezil said...

Suki, I have no faith that anything will change. Redfern Broadband Networks (a.k.a. Redfern Photonics) refused to renew a contract I had with them after my request to have a disabled parking space painted in was denied by the Australian Technology Park at Redfern. ATP is a government owned technology incubator site.

I have it on good authority that ATP informed RBN that they would not have their preferential lease arrangement at ATP continued if they continued to employ me once I filed an HREOC complaint about ATP.

This issue was about 200ml of paint and a signpost, not a complete capitulation to the overbearing requests of a disabled guy.

-weez

11:34 am  
Blogger suki said...

I'm not surprised.
At my work, colleagues insist that disabled parking is the same as pram-friendly parking.

Is it downward envy or just do-gooders gone bad?
I guess the first fine will set them straight.

12:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home