Monday, April 11, 2005

a Child to nurture

Parents are amazing. I have five. This is the result of a mixture of death, divorce, remarriage and serial-monogamous-defacto-relationships.

I am very fortunate as all of my wonderful parents were and are amazing, brilliant, loving, healthy, (if somewhat eccentric) people.

Figures out today show that every 13 minutes, in Australia, a child is abused or neglected.
This is a short post as I have a very strong urge to nurture the girlchild.
I hope that 219,384 of my fellow Australians feel the urge to do the same.


Image from here

3 Comments:

Anonymous The Heretik said...

Beautiful thoughts, Suki

5:32 am  
Blogger MsBurbs said...

I am a parent. These figures make me cry. They also make me rush of and hug the children - sorry teenagers, young adults.

I hug them way too tightly. I know this because they are willing to say anything to make me let them go (though I do detect a small upturn of the lips as they wriggle free and rush out the door.)

I dont know why this horrible statistic is not at the top of the list of most imporant things government, society, people, every single one of us, should attend to and put right - straight away, now, without delay. I just don't know but I wish ,I truly wish, it was there - the absolute priority number one and it makes me cry that it is not.

Because if we dont value the children, if we don't understand that there is nothing absolutly nothing more precious than a child, every child, then what hope is there for any of us?

12:42 am  
Blogger suki said...

msburbs,
Thank you for your passion. NAPCAN has a slogan "Children need all the help parents can get."

I have taken to hugging all my friends children too...

6:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home