Saturday, September 17, 2005

Narcissism and paranoia

As the stories gush out of Latham's gaping mouth, I am thinking that the question I should have asked was "how do we manage people suffering with Narcissistic personality disorders and persecutory paranoia in bureaucratic structures?"

The lack of empathy for everyone exposed by his need for a "notice me" behaviour is profound, and only superseded by his belief that almost everyone is involved in a systematic "bury Latham" plot.

As Latham's rant becomes spew, any hope of insight gained by the ALP into distructive, unhelpful or flawed structures, policies, and cultures becomes more and more remote.
...Long,
longtime waiting.


Section of Echo and Narcissus painting by John William Waterhouse 1903

6 Comments:

Blogger Brownie said...

He certainly has a personality disorder and if it is the Narcissistic type, then there is no hope of 'managing' as you wonder. NPD's are totally resistant to therapy, demean the therapist (or anybody else) and live in a state of complete denial that anything is ever wrong with themselves. Many people who have escaped relationships with NPD's are in therapy and permanently wounded.

10:35 pm  
Blogger Brownie said...

I followed your link and can report that the NPD who crossed my path was a Somatic and a Classic. He definitely displayed ALL 9 of the Indicators which only require 5 out of 9 for the diagnosis. I can almost laugh now. almost.
re Latham - how on earth could he have got to the Leadership if he was NPD - nobody would have voted for him - NPD's have no friends.

10:42 pm  
Blogger suki said...

"NPD's have no friends
...neither do a lot of politicians.
Perhaps ~brownie there are more NPD's than we care to know of in government.
Ruddock and Vanstone show signs of cerebral NPD.

12:40 am  
Blogger Brownie said...

Latham does actually verbalise various empathies, and I know that NPD's have ABSOLUTELY NO empathy of any kind (it is almost fascinating to experience).
Off topic: I have been watching The Insiders this morning and I love that pullover that PiersAkerman does NOT pullover - maybe it isn't big enough!
cheers.

10:58 am  
Blogger Brownie said...

Just read an account of Zellweger and Chesney split, and it reminded me that NPD's change dramatically after they have captured their mate. Friends said to me "What! were you thinking when you took up with this creep?'. and I would say 'but he was devoted before'
('before' he talked me into quitting my city job and moving to rural Vic where I was completely under his control) - maybe Chesney went NPD on Zellweger? maybe you are correct and Latham went NPD on the ALP.

10:18 am  
Blogger joe2 said...

I reckon Mark Latham would have made a reasonable P.M.
His personality disorder seems less than our current chap. John Howard believes he speaks for all of us. A major concern. When he looks in the mirror it is very,very scary.

6:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home